Thursday, March 7, 2013

Can i borrow a tampon?

I think i have mentioned how eccentric my mom is and how unstable my childhood was. My brothers father was and continues to be the creepiest and the biggest asshole i have ever met. He used to bring really weird people over to our house and let them stay with us, like homeless people with weird issues.

This one day he brought home a really strange looking man named Egghead. He had shoulder length grey frizzy hair. He had a soft voice and pale blue eyes and was very obviously homeless. Egghead had a split personality. Half the time he was Egghead and the other half of the time She was Amelia. As a 11 year old, i found this incredibly entertaining and interesting.

As it turns out Egghead was a really nice man, life just took a shit on him and he couldn't seem to get back into the swing of things because of his condition. I was always a big tomboy and loved being dirty and playing with the boys. But when Amelia came around i would always let her paint my nails, do my makeup and put really horrible fake jewelry on me because it made her happy and made me laugh. She had great style that was completely out of this world. That women could wear a dress!

After staying with us for about a month he asked my mom when he was Amelia if she could borrow a tampon. A TAMPON! Where the hell was she going to stick it? This puzzled me for a really long time, and neither my or me had the guts to ask Amelia where she was going to put it.

I don't remember Egghead leaving or ever talking about him or Amelia with my mom after the fact. As funny as this sounds, i think meeting Egghead and Amelia was one of the coolest things my mom and my brothers dad did for me. My view of people, there illnesses and quirky personal stories and struggles, because of knowing Egghead and some of the others, i think made me a really accepting person. I have a incredibly open mind considering the people who raised me.

Can i borrow a tampon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment