Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter memories

I have always been ambivalent about Easter. For one, I'm not religious and two, It's always been my moms favorite holiday, or the one she celebrates the most. For her its not about the religious aspects either, its because she has been a pretty worthless mom and was always "gone" or in jail or whatever on all the other holidays and for some reason or another was always "around" when Easter time came.

It always seems like something always happens around Easter, good or bad, but always something memorable. I have a few memories of my Easters i would like to share. The first is one of the reasons i really don't like Easter, it reminds me of a lot of the disappointments of my childhood, and my mom. The second is a little heart warming, its about my adoptive dad, the only person i have ever been able to really count on besides my husband. The last story was last Easter with my boys, its one that i will never forget, my mother bought a couple chicks and brought them over, my boys were thrilled, they even named them, than something traumatic happened!

My most memorable Easter, and i say memorable as in, the one that stands out among all the rest. The most memorable Easter was when i was five, before my sisters were born. On all the years previous my mother would hide my Easter basket, I thought it was fun looking for it and got to feel the satisfaction and the excitement of finding it when i did. This Easter however was different. My mom was dating my adoptive dad at the time and they were into the party scene and were doing a bunch of drugs. The night before Easter they both got high and started throwing plates of spaghetti at each other. The next morning when i woke up, i was excited, Easter! As i searched through the house for my Easter basket i had to tip toe around the spaghetti all over the floor and falling from the ceiling. I looked and looked and looked to no avail. My mom forgot it was Easter. She had always made a special effort to make Easter a big event and totally forgot. I was more than a little devastated. I spent the whole night before covering up my ears because of the yelling and fight and dishes being thrown, thinking it will all be ok because tomorrow was Easter and mom loves Easter. So, understandably i dislike Easter, if for no other reason.

Memory number two was yet again a Easter before my sisters came along. My mom was running her own gymnastics academy and was throwing an Easter get together at the gym. She had the brilliant idea to go get a rabbit costume for the guy she was dating to wear. We were on our way to pick up the costume when i asked the guy a question. I asked him if i could call him dad, this rightly so blew my moms mind and the guys. I think i must have been four or five at the time. The guy said yes, and he became my dad and still was after my mom and him broke up. He has been the only man in my life, (besides my husband now) that has always had my back and has been a constant in my life. We have always had a mutual understanding of each other. We have never lied to each other EVER. This man taught me to tie my shoes, ride a bike and where to kick a boy if i got picked on. This man taught me so much, and come Easter time i always think of him and my heart swells and i get a little teary eyed.


The last memory i am sharing was last Easter with my boys. My mom came over as usual with eggs filled with rocks (we are all rock hounds), a pinata filled with toys and candy(I told you she is eccentric, but the boys love it), and two little chicks. I asked Fire Ball what he was going to name his chicks and him being two in a half and not being the most creative said "Fire Ball and Beefcake" So he named the chicks (because they were brothers) after him and his brother. We had some beers the boys cracked open the pinata and had some candy. We were all having a good day even the little chicks who were roaming the back yard. When all of a sudden a blue jay comes sweeping down and decapitates the chick known as Beefcake. Feathers were flying everywhere and there was blood on the ground. The other chick "Fire Ball" was screaming, chirping his little heart out. My boys didn't exactly know what was going on but Fire Ball started running toward the decapitated chick and of course i went running to Fire Ball, being only two and had bonded with these little chicks i didn't want him to see the carnage. After i got the kids inside, all of us adults laughed our asses off. Whats the odds? The whole situation was so funny. Beefcake got decapitated by a blue jay.

Easters are always eventful in my family. This Easter we are heading over to my moms house. The family is all going over tomorrow instead of Sunday. As i am writing this i am wondering what will happen this year? I feel a little anxious, not in a good way but i know that i will have fun regardless of what happens because i have my boys and MFKL and we will make it fun for the kids no matter what happens. Even if we have to leave my moms early and go on a adventure, we will have fun. I will let you all know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment